I think there's a better way which I'll sketch (because my project
uses a version of Xerces that is from before the DOM Level 3
interfaces were included, so does something similar using older
stuff).

A standard XML parser may be associated with an EntityResolver, which
supports a method taking a URI and returning an InputSource from which
the content may be read.  Similarly, when a reference to a schema
namespace is found in a document (instance or schema) being read by a
validating parser, some kind of resolver will be called, if one has
been attached to the parser, to find the definition of the schema for
that namespace.  The namespace URI is the argument to the relevant
method.  This resolver thing (might be called LSResolver in the DOM
Level 3 L&S) is an interface, and your implementation may do whatever
it wants.  Thus, you could create the resolver with some root location
in the file system as argument, or you could use
ClassLoader.getSystemResourceAsStream() or you  could put the schemas
in a database and retrieve their text from there.  Your resolver could
consult any schema locations it accumulated during its lifetime if you
had a way to capture these, and wouldn't have to use them literally,
but could interpret them as it wished.

I suggest you consult the Xerces docs about how to install a resolver
for schemas.

Jeff