Validating your schema against the schema for schemas (XMLSchema.xsd) isn't
sufficient for determining whether your schema is valid. There are many
constraints which cannot be expressed in the language, for example the
complex rules for particle derivation [1] which apply to complex type
restriction/extension. Xerces checks these constraints among many others
when it loads/processes a schema. You could use the SchemaFactory [2] from
JAXP 1.3 for that purpose.

Thanks.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#coss-particle
[2]