Hi,

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 at 11:41, Haider Ali wrote:

Can anyone let me know that how XMPP handle so many connections. Since we know that we can only open 2 ^ 16 = 65536 ports ( connections ) with a single machine. But i came to know that single xmpp server can handle more connections than 65536.

your assumption that there can only be a single connection per port number at a time is wrong. A combination of local IP address and port can be used for many connections at once as long as the remote IP address *or* the remote port number are different between each of them.

Server sockets do this automatically with every call to accept(), but for client sockets you have to set the SO_REUSEADDR option to allow a second bind() while socket using the same port number is still open.

cu
        Reinhard