Waldhoff, Rodney [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

> I'm confused.  How many positive votes does it take to
> approve a proposal?

> The charter says: "To be accepted, a package proposal must receive a
> positive super-majority vote of the subproject committers.
> [...] The whole
> number of positive votes needed for a super majority is calculated by
> dividing the total number of active subproject committers by four,
> multiplying by three, and rounding to the nearest whole
> number (>= .5 rounds
> up)."
>
> Given the 10 committers listed in the Commons proposal (plus
> Vincent, I
> assume) it seems to me that that implies 8 positive votes are
> required.  By
> my count, no proposal has received 8 +1's yet.  Does "active
> subproject
> committers" mean something stronger than I'm reading it to be?

No.  You are right on.

> Don't get me wrong.  I've +1'ed everything so far (in fact
> every vote I've
> seen has been positive). I just think we should nail down
> precisely what
> these voting rules mean before there's a real point of
> contention on some
> proposal.

The problem we are having is that we aren't getting votes in a timely
manner.  I am not sure of the reason - it could be that everyone is too
busy, or they don't necessarily care about the specific issue at hand.

This is going to be a problem in the future because of our committer model -
as the number of people we add grows larger, the less the likelyhood that
anything moves forward.

Once solution, which I proposed last week, was to change and base the vote
results on the number of people that *actually* vote, not the number
*possible* votes, because that will be hopeless.  I think we should have a
minimum number of votes ( 4? 5? something reasonable...), and you must have
75% +1's of the total vote or something.

But we should fix this quickly so we can move forward.  Vincent took Cactus
of Sourceforge, converted and relicensed everything, and then was stuck in
administration purgatory when it was pretty clear (to me, anyway) that
people wanted this to move forward.

geir