> I think asking users to prefix their mails by [cactus] is
> going to be very hard to enforce. First, people expect to
> find a forum dedicated to Cactus.

> One solution I can see is to have a dedicated mailing list. Maybe we
should
> put a guideline, like if any commons component generate more than xx mails
> as average per week then we should create a dedicated mailing list for it.

Most of the proposals, and a great deal of the discussion that went into the
Commons charter, address this.  The general consensus seemed to be to create
a component-specific mailing list when the traffic warrants it.  Until that
time, many people seemed to agree that something like [Cactus] was a pretty
good convention.  It looks like Cactus may reach that point sooner than
later.

> Second, there is nothing that tells them that they should
> [cactus] before they send their message (one not 100%
> perfect solution to this would be to create a page on the
> Cactus web site that explains this but I am not even
> sure this will work.

You could mention this on the site, but I think the example alone should
encourage most people to follow suit.  And it doesn't really matter if they
don't

> A second solution (I don't know if it is technically feasible) is to
create
> an email alias (like [EMAIL PROTECTED]). All
emails
> sent to this email address will have their subjects automatically prefixed
> with "[cactus]" and they will appear in the
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list ? If it is possible to do
> that it seems easier.

This has been brought up several times in various Apache contexts.  Some
seem pretty vehemently opposed to it, citing that it violates an RFC to
change the subject line of an email.