On Sat, 12 May 2001, Scott Sanders wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have updated Digester to use the SAX2 interfaces, but I have a few
> questions.
>
> Basically, when we have a start element, should Digester match on
> localName (just the element name, no namespace) or match on qName (ns
> prefix and element name)?

If you turn namespace awareness off, you're matching on
"prefix:element".  It would be consistent to make the same policy for
namespace-aware matches, although that means the Digester author has to
know what prefix the document developer used.

Maybe we need another boolean configuration variable to let the Digester
author choose.

> Or, should we match on the element name only for now, as that is what
> Digester is doing, and find some way to better include namespace
> processing into the digester framework, using the namespaceURI?
>
> Anyway,  I am committing the SAX2 changes that I have, that do exactly
> what Digester is doing now, but eliminate the deprecation warnings.  I
> think that we should go beyond this later, though.

After these changes, does Digester remain compatible with JAXP/1.0 APIs?
That is important for Struts users who will want to be able to plug in
whatever parser they want.

> Scott Sanders

Craig