----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason van Zyl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2001 4:13 PM
Subject: Version numbers on release JARs

> Hi,
>
> Is there a reason why we're not placing the version number in the name of
> the JAR. I am trying to use a central repository of JARs for building all
> turbine projects and I know I will eventually run into a case where I need
> to store different versions of a package in the same directory.
>
> I know the version informatin is in the manifest, but you can't store
> multiple versions of packages in the same directory right now.

The only reason I can think of is that it is a pain to have to change all
the places which references a given jar when you upgrade to a new version
... Also you should think about nightly builds. Certainly the nighlty builds
will have no version in the name of the jar or if it had it would change
every day (which is even more difficult to manager from places where it is
referenced).

Create directories or better, instead of using a standard file system, use a
versioned one (like a SCCS: CVS or something like iFS from Oracle, or Slide
...).

-Vincent