On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> The only place it makes any significant difference is on a JDK 1.1
> platform, where Iterator does not exist.  That's not an issue *I* care
> anything at all about, but Costin does.  (And that is at least partly why
> object creation and garbage collection is so important to him, because it
> matters more there :-).

Well, I'm using JDK1.3 90% of the time and JDK1.4 for the rest. Almost all
my performance tests are done with either IBM 1.3 ( JIT ) or server
hotspot, as I don't expect anyone ( sane ) to use tomcat on a JDK1.1 and
expect performance or security.

And I couldn't care less about JDK1.1 if it wasn't for the fact that I
care about small devices. J2ME may have Iterator ( if cetain profiles are
used, etc), but the general ideea of keeping what you require at minimum,
at least in the API, is quite important. Most devices I know are based on
1.1 or even subsets of 1.1, so I do care about that - but not from a
performance point of view ( I don't expect it to handle 200 RPS ).

Ability to scale down is the only reason I keep insisting on minimal
requirements on interfaces, but I use quite a bit of java2 features in my
implementations ( heck, I'm a big fan of java.nio, which is 1.4 only :-)

And of course, it's not an issue about what do you care or what do I care,
it's about finding solutions that work for as many people as possible.
Using Iterator instead of Enumeration in some interface that is not
critical for performance point of view or anything else doesn't seem to
bring that much.

It seems the discussion is going toward a known pattern, so I'll go back
to my work.

Costin