Hi Seb,

Sebastien Lelong wrote:

> One very important point, IMO, is being able to reuse parts of the
> documentation for different purpose, in terms of content or publishing
> media. For instance, "jallib an introduction" could be seen as (it's just an
> example)
> 
> jallib_an_introduction (kind of TOC)
> 
>     - jalv2 introduction
>     - jallib concepts
>     - peripherals
>         - PWM
>            - theory
>            - tutorial (practice)
>         - ADC
>            - theory
>            - tutorial (practice)
>         ...
> 
> 
>>From this, I want to build a PDF, and HTML (publishing media), as a whole.
> But, also, I want to extract the tutorial parts and upload to our website
> (variable content). And I want this to be scriptable, with automation,
> auto-upload, etc... (so more work buildbot -- or Bee), just like jal code.
> This is about integrating tutorials on jalliblog into a more general
> document. But just like code, when I update a tutorial, I don't want (and
> won't) to update every documents out there using this tutorial. One source
> of information, many outputs.

Good idea! I like structural designs!

> With approach using Word & "friends", it seems impossible (right ?). That's
> why I'm trying to find the right tool, flexible enough, easy enough to use.
> Not that easy.
> 
>>From the documentation tools used, there seems to be two main actors:
> Docbook, and DITA. Docbook seems nice but reuse if not that easy (it's made
> for book, a big static content). I had a look at DITA, which is actually
> designed for reuse (see this 5-minutes tutorial explaining DITA concepts:
> http://dita.xml.org/5-minute-dita-tutorial). I think it may worth it (is it
> English ?) to give a try...

I have seen the tutorial. But I'm not sure I've seen everything. The 
last page was 'Organizing Topics with Maps', after that a blank page, 
not more slides.
Nevertheless it seems both a simple and a flexible tool (but I have to 
see it in real life for a better judgement).

> About GUI, since it's XML, every XML editor can be used. I tried XXE from
> XMLMind (http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/).

I have to see if I can run this, I think the current Java level I have 
is 1.4.2. But I may prefer to use a simple editor and type the tags 
myself, like I have done with with my html docs so far.

> What's your point on this? Do you understand the need and agree ? What
> other solutions can you see?

I have no experience with desk top publishing. Simple ASCII text and 
HTML has been sufficient for me and I don't want to invest much time to 
learn using 'fancy' tools.  But I do see a need for a documentation 
tool, but let it be simple to use.

> We need to decide something on this topic, which is an important one. One
> decision being: "postpone"...

The longer we wait the more work for converting existing docs. DITA 
seems OK as far as I can see.

Regards, Rob.


-- 
Rob Hamerling, Vianen, NL (http://www.robh.nl/)

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to