I ran both a serial monitor via USB (but no power from that connection) and
the "real" USB connection, and I've noticed that the code will list the
contents of the SD card and then proceed to try to mount the SD as a Mass
Storage Device.

I'm not too keen on powering it from "both" sides, but the PC should be
able to handle that.

I'll give it a try and see...

Thanks!