> > How about we make it an optional behavior with a config param?

> Ok, a fine compromise, if we add (and document) a section
<serveraddresses>
> equivalent to <servernames> with an autodetect element/parameter, as for
> servernames that should allow simple situations to be detected, complex
> situations to override it, and the chosen behaviour to be clearly seen in
> the configuration.
> I think it should be composed of <address>xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx</address>
elements
> which are added in [] to the servernames collection. Yes?

I did attempt to implement this compromise position.  The patch I submitted
does add such an autodetect parameter.  It tells James to autodetect IP
addresses for the mail hosts it supports.  The parameter is addIPAddresses,
although it can be renamed to whatever anyone wants.

I consider a separate serveraddresses section to be unnecessary.  It is
perfectly permissible today to add elements of the form:

    <servername>xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx</servername>

to the <servernames> element today.  If truely desired, we could accept:

    <servername>[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]</servername>

and strip the brackets.  The brackets must be stripped because the
comparison is made against MailAddress.getHost(), and getHost() must return
a valid host (which is why getHost() strips the brackets when it provides
the host).

        --- Noel