Paul Hammant wrote:

> Stephen,
>
>>> To more knowledgeable heads than I,
>>>
>>> Noel and I have been looking at the nightly build process and are a
>>> little disturbed by the fact that:
>>>
>>> i) It is failing
>>> ii) It is failing without notifying james-dev
>>>

>> This explains a lot.  With no notification of failures, the Avalon
>> Community have been moving along in ignorant bliss (relative to the
>> James Commnity).  Over the last few days that has been discussion
>> concerning inconsitencies in Cornerstone jar brough about by some
>> recent testing I've been doing of James using the Avalon CVS builds
>> of Cornerstone. With gump working we would have spotted the issue
>> months ago.
>>
>> Getting this back in place would be really good becuse you can
>> validate that the Avalon Community are not braking anything as a
>> result of maintainance and service development.
>

> Err not true dude.  The problem exists because casting (I think) which
> neither gump nor a guy doing 'ant clean, ant dist' can test for.

I stand corrected!  A pure Gump run will only pick up compile time issues.
However, a unit test on someting link the SMTP server will catch this
sort of issue.  Aside from that - getting in some unit tests on
individual Cornersone components could be highly valuable - I have a
sneaking suspision that the errors I'm seeing in the James runtime
testing are unrelated to James code and actually concern the file
persistence in the cornerston/store package - but its unconfirmed at
this stage.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell