Stephen,

> Who is wondering what he should do with the James tranformation of
> CM to SM that he has on his machine?

We'd love to have it, Stephen.  The only issue appears to be whether or not
we want it before Avalon is ready to do a Release.  Related to this, Dion
Gillard is working on the Maven setup for James.  He also needs us to have a
clean set of Avalon JAR files.  Right now he's having trouble because of
James / Avalon compatibility issues.

Serge's view, and I think there is justification, is that we want a Release,
not another CVS dump.  I do see that Avalon (in the person of you, for the
most part) is starting to do the preliminary work necessary.  Personally,
since James v3 is in early development, I don't know that I would mind
starting with a tagged CVS release that was considered by the Avalon PMC to
be a Milestone build, but mine is just one vote.

My suggestion is that you propose to us that you submit your patches
concurrent with such a Milestone from Avalon, and let us vote on it.  This
is important for Maven, too, since they would put your version labeled jars
into their central repository.

On a related topic, I've no problem with Avalon keeping store.  I was just
pointing out that Peter Donald has commented that he thought it ought to be
moved to James.  Right now we do have our own (fixed) copy of the file store
implementation, since it was broken, and we were told to fix it in copies of
our own so that it could be removed from Avalon.

        --- Noel