Thanks for the very detailed and insightful summary.
I understand your views and agree. Just one comment.

Aaron Knauf wrote:

In fact, I believe that we should be very reluctant to change james to accomodate changes in avalon cvs unless it is clear that a stable avalon release containing those changes will be available before the next james release. As others have mentioned, be don't what to block james releases.
Yes, I'm aware of this and it's fundamental. As you can see, Stephen is working very hard to make it done sooner than later.

I'd say that intent is quite clear on both sides. Let's resolve things one by one as they come. I personally don't think that we should copy James stuff in avalon-sandbox, and I'm sure that Stephen could be given time-limited karma for changes he has to make.

Stephen has modified code that can be patched on James. It seems he really needs a hand in resolving problems, and want you all to try the changes and see if you can help.

This can be reasonably done by tagging current James and patching HEAD, or making a branch and tagging that.

[talking as an engineer] The best solution is to make a branch, and give temporary karma to Stephen to be able to work on that branch. He is free to change things, James committers can check changes, and current James HEAD is not affected.

Stephen, James guys, what do you think?

--
Nicola Ken Barozzi [EMAIL PROTECTED]
- verba volant, scripta manent -