Richard and Noel,

--- "Noel J. Bergman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Richard,
> With respect to writing your own SMTP client, it is
> simple for simple cases,
> but the totality of SMTP isn't simple.

Considering these facts about 1/2 year ago I chose
James as an implementation basis for a very similiar
project and found James very suitable. (which is a
reliable solution capable of all those nice exception
cases which I could never program myself) BTW. thanks
to all james developers!

> However, I don't see why you can't use James for
> your application.  What you
> are proposing seems like a fairly straightforward
> custom application of

Understanding concepts of James ate up almost half of
development time. :-)

> James.  From what I read on your site, and from your
> post, it is essentially
> a variation on a TMDA (www.tmda.net/) scheme, but
> requiring payment rather
> than authentication.

The challenge-response-payment idea was IMHO first
discussed in "Pricing via processing" (Cynthia Dwork,
Moni Naor, 1991).

You can find the paper here:

http://www.wisdom.weizmann.ac.il/~naor/onpub.html

TMDA is one implementation of that idea. At the moment
the "beloved" company Microsoft is heavily researching
in this field.

http://research.microsoft.com/research/sv/PennyBlack/

However, my guess is next version of windows will
contain this feature.

Greetings,
Frank