Hi Richard,

Do you mean to say an SMTP client using JavaMail or an SMTP client not using
JavaMail?  Why would you need to write a replacement for JavaMail for
sending mail?

In any case, do you have a copy of the SMTP spec?  I'm on a plane so I can't
reference it right now, but IMNSHO, it should be fairly easy.  Especially if
you use the telnet library I used to create my james-shutdown utility which
you can find linked from my homepage (http://cvs.apache.org/~acoliver) with
source.  Still I feel you'd be better advised to not re-invent JavaMail
itself.

Writing something that pulls a mail from a mail server with JavaMail isn't
too hard.

-Andy

On 6/6/03 12:21 AM, "Richard O. Hammer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Following Andy Oliver's lead, I will tell that I too am working on a
> mailserver project with goals so different from those of James that I
> am trying to develop a separate body of code.  My goal is to offer a
> an email service through which unknown senders will be allowed to send
> their messages only after they have posted bond.  If you are curious,
> you can read more about this at <http://mailscreen.net>.
>
> I find the code of James valuable as instruction and example, and I
> hope to be able pay back with contributions wherever my project overlaps.
>
> On that vein, has the possibility of writing an SMTP sender to replace
> javax.mail.Transport been considered?  It seems to me that it may not
> be very hard to write that side, although I have not tried and may be
> mistaken.
>
> I read that Sun intended JavaMail for SMTP clients but not for servers
> (probably I read that in either the API or the specification).  That
> may explain why the JavaMail API sometimes seems so difficult to use
> as a utility for an MTA.  (For example, it seems silly to me that I
> must create a Session (or a Folder) before I can parse an incoming
> MimeMessage.)
>
> Anyhow, my questions are about writing an SMTP client: does it appear
> to be a difficult undertaking? has it been considered for James?
>
> Thank you,
> Rich Hammer
> Hillsborough, N.C.

Andrew C. Oliver