Hi,
not sure what poppers can do but I think your main problem is anyway the
client software. If I were you I would use a simple database to store mail
in. That folder system is not difficult to write. All you need is a simple
mailet which stores the mail in your database in the appropiate inbox. And a
couple of servlets which access the database. To send mail you would simply
use Java Mail. All you need further is a daemon process (optionally started
by the servlet engine at startup or started standing alone) which again
accesses the database to obey the rules.
Your problem is in no way the backend but the frontend.
I think you would go better to employ a custom repository designed with your
application in mind.
Using a database like mysql you would ease the data access greatly. The few
data accessing classes you would need to write will suit your needs better
than a javamail folder implementation ever can. not to forget the
performance plus and the freedom of interchanging JAMES (not that I think
you would ever wish to ;)

Hope that my comments were of any use!
Cheers,
 Marcus