> Ah... so if I want to use the SMTP service, I have to be running a DNS
server (not service) ?

No, but you do need to configure a dns server entry in config.xml so that
the mail server knows whom to contact to lookup MX records.

When you tell the mail server to deliver e-mail to jnorment @
soulinstinct.com, the mail server needs to find the MX record for
soulinstinct.com.  Here is what it looks like if I do it by hand:

> set q=mx
> soulinstinct.com

Non-authoritative answer:
soulinstinct.com        MX preference = 10, mail exchanger =
mx2.daemonmail.net
soulinstinct.com        MX preference = 10, mail exchanger =
mx3.daemonmail.net
soulinstinct.com        MX preference = 30, mail exchanger =
mx1.daemonmail.net

So I see that you have three possible mail servers of differing priority,
each handled by daemonmail.net.  Two of them are of equal priority, and
probably load balance.  The third serves as a backup.

See: http://www.webville.net/DNSinfo.htm

        --- Noel