two things I'd like to see and I am willing to help for in the admin interface:

- syncronous interface

James is already a wonderful asyncronous framework, it would become wildly more powerful if a synchronous/transactional api was mapped onto its inner workings, it could mean making not only its setup (the users) but all of its behavior (the mailet pipe) modifiable at run-time. I mean: it's straightforward to have an asynchronous interface to James, just write a mailet that maps what it receives to some or all of the actions performed by the Remotemanager (I have done it myself and can send the code if anybody's interested) but, apart from the security issues here, it would be much more useful if for the remote operator it was easy to know if an operation succeded in a transactional sense i.e. so that I can assume the user was created if and only if I get a return value out of a method (as opposed to settling down to wait for the answer message or mail), don't know JMS so to acheive this may be either straightforward or need some glue...

- max interoperability

how easily can you export a JMS interface as a web service? Again, can't answer that question myself.. I'd like to see the admin interface exported as SOAP (using the Apache toolkit? or maybe even some simpler XML-RPC?) and then the various GUIs written on top of that (the telnet/ssh wouldn't need to change much but most importantly one or many web interfaces would be immediately available just by styling the XML with CSS or XSL, it could also work with XForms..). Writing other kinds of clients could then be done in languages that make ui creation easier and less resource-hungry than java.. making James the ultimate interoperability framework (it already is, just finished effortlessly porting my mail app from windoze to freebsd :)

just my .02 neuro

ciao
ste

Rich Isaac wrote:
I also have been considering an interface of some type.  I suggest any work
done on an admin interface should consider implementing the interface
through JMX.  JMX will simplify the development of the interface, provide a
default HTML interface, and allow for SNMP links.

A few months back someone had mentioned building an Admin Interface for
James.  Is that still a work in progress?  Or is it not being developed?

I'm not affilieated to this project but I started today the same kind of
application... A plain Java app to do the same as the remote manager...

I had the info stored on a machine I rebuilt and subsequently lost the
contact info to the individual(s) that were going to create it.  Anybody
know anything about this?  I've searched the archives and found
nothing....

[CARMEN] http://webaccess.mozquito.com:8080/mail/ste/inbox/514616387661383904.xml