Has anybody done tests on sending out email to random and varied performance real world servers? I guess tests for this may not be practical, but does anybody have numbers in an environment setup as a relay?

-J

Kenny Smith wrote:

Hi Noel et al,

It appears that connections from my server are getting denied by hotmail and yahoo (my ISP just got labeled as a spammer... I'm trying to find a new ISP), so I'm getting a lot of timeouts and a lot of retries. I can only assume that it's just going through the spool really slowly because it takes a long time to timeout. :/

Me need new ISP. *sigh*

Kenny

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

Kenny,

I have run tests most nights lately, each about 1 million messages. They
run through the spooler until they encounter a matcher that discards them
all. The tests average about 1400 messages per minute on the 400 mhz
Celeron test bed.

The test basically exercises the heck out of the SMTP handler and the
spooler. The spooler is configured in mysql as:

The data-source is the standard entry for MySQL, except that the database is
"test" on that machine.

What database (type and version) are you using? One thing that I found a
while ago was that on very rare occassions, I could go into MySQL, do a
manual SQL query, and notice an excessive amount of time (let's say 1 second
instead of 0.006). Restarting MySQL (and James because of mordred) cleared
that up.

The fact that they are in transport is insufficient. What you need to do is
see where in the processor they are. Look for entries of the kind:

Checking with
Servicing by

Those should tell us specifically where in the transport the message has
gotten, and the timestamps will tell us how long it is taking to move
through the spool.

--- Noel