Dunno - but you could try the No-Op system manager to see if you make
progress.  To do this edit the Phoenix config file conf/kernel.xml, find
the following section:

        <component
role="org.apache.avalon.phoenix.interfaces.SystemManager"

class="org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.manager.MX4JSystemManager"
            logger="manager" >
        </component>

And replace the class o.a.a.p.c.m.MX4JSystemManager with the class
o.a.a.p.c.m.NoopSystemManager.

Steve