Very concise explanation for a tricky situation.
Thanks a lot.
--- In [email protected], "Richard Wilcox"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> sushi wo tsukuru koto wo naraitai.
>
> If you use sushi wo tsukuru no wa, the predicate should be about
making sushi (sushi wo tsukuru no wa muzukashii desu). Since the
subject of naraitai is an implied watashi, not sushi wo tsukuru koto,
use wo.
>
> If I was trying to say "If I had the opportunity, I want to learn
how to make sushi," I would say
>
> Kikai ga attara, sushi no tsukurikata wo naraitai.
>
> If you want to say "how to do" something, it's more common to use
~kata than koto wo.
>
> "...to shitara" is like saying "Let's say..." You normally wouldn't
say "Let's say I have the opportunity..." You would say "If I have
the opportunity..." to shitara is more natural with "you" as the
subject, "Let's say you have the opportunity..." = "(Anata wa) kikai
ga aru to shitara..."
>
> Hopefully that is helpful.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: "randhir_nag" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [email protected]
> Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 17:11:18 -0000
> Subject: [Japanese_Language] koto and no
>
> Which of the following is more appropriate ?
>
> kikai ga aru to shitara, sushi wo tsukuru koto wo(wa?) naraitai.
> OR
> kikai ga aru to shitara, sushi wo tsukuru no wa naraitai.
>
> In which case is the 'less appropriate option' used then?
>
>
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
> aOR
> kikai ga aru to shitara, sushi wo tsukuru no wa naraitai.
>
> In which case is the 'less appropriate option' used then?
>
>
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Japanese_Language/
<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional
<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Japanese_Language/join
(Yahoo! ID required)
<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/