--- In [email protected], "randhir_nag" 
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> I have come across the following sentences:
> 
> watashi wa tenisu no shiai ni wa maketakunai desu
> watashi wa yakunin ni wa naritaku nai desu
> 
> Can someone explain this usage of 'ni wa'.
> I thought 'ni wa' is used to indicate something as part of the subject
> like "Nihon niwa chiisai shima ga takusan arimasu".

You're right, but "ni wa" is also used to emphasize "ni" as in the 
above sentences.  The two sentences mean practcically the same as:

-1. watashi wa tenisu no shiai ni maketakunai (desu). (I don't want to 
be beaten in a tenis match.)
-2. watashi wa yakunin ni naritaku nai (desu). (I don't want to be a 
bureaucrat.)

However, the thing (e.g. "tenisu no shiai" or "yakunin") is emphasized 
when "wa" is added after "ni", giving the connotation of "among other 
things" or "especially".  Hence,

-3. watashi wa tenisu no shiai NI WA maketakunai (desu). (I don't want 
to be beaten especially in a tenis match.)
-4. watashi wa yakunin NI WA naritaku nai (desu). (I don't want to be a 
bureaucrat, among other things.)

Kamui



 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Japanese_Language/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Japanese_Language/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to