--- In [email protected], Herouth Maoz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 
wrote:

> ~te iru = something is in a certain state
> ~te aru = something is in a certain state because it was 
deliberately   put in that state
> 
> So for example - kuruma ha chuusha shite arimasu: the car is 
parked  
> (somebody has parked it)
> 
> I don't think you can say "aruite aru", because nobody has put the  
> dog into a state of walking. Walking, as you say, is not a static 
state.
> 
> Herouth>

I see. So would it be correct to say, "Hikôki wa tonde aru" (The 
airplane is flying), but not, "Kujira ga oyoide aru" (The whale is 
swimming)? "-Te aru" would imply a transitive action. My take is that 
in the first example, the pilot put the airplane into a state of 
flying (transitive action), so "-te aru" would be appropiate here. As 
for the whale, it swims of its own accord and thus the action is 
intransitive.

In what sense is it best to use "-te aru" or "-te iru"? I often hear 
both being used rather liberally at times.

- Arian I.





 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Japanese_Language/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Japanese_Language/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to