Hi,
I believe you should look at JRFileVirtualizer Class. This will allow Jasper to load data into memory in chunks(similar to virtual memory concept of OS), thus avoiding the Java OutOfMemoryError.

Yes, you can print a jasper report without displaying it.

Following is a sample code snippet which should be of some help to you.

//The File Virtualizer location should be configurable.
JRFileVirtualizer virtualizer = new JRFileVirtualizer(2, "tempLocation");
parameters.put(JRParameter.REPORT_VIRTUALIZER, virtualizer);
JasperPrint jasperPrint = JasperFillManager.fillReport(jasperReport, parameters, dataSource);
JasperPrintManager.printPage(jasperPrint, 0, false);

I would also suggest you to look for writing your own custom data source class and using it.

Regards,
Pushkar