Darren Scott wrote:

> Ever since I switched our database to MySQL with Terrence Zeller's tjFM JDBC
> Driver, our VM has apparently crashed after about 10hrs and the following
> appears in jserv.log.
>
> >open(/dev/zero): Too many open files
> >libthread panic: alloc_chunk (PID: 4165 LWP 2)
> >stacktrace:
> >        ef509908
> >        ef5083b8
> >        ef508154
> >        ef50eba4
> >        ef50e968
> >        ef507e34
> >        ef50b434
> >        ef50e0ec
> >        0
> >java.lang.NullPointerException
> >        at org.apache.jserv.JServHandler.run(Compiled Code)
>
> Does anybody know why, or what the above means?

This is the subject of an unresolved bug on Sun's java site.

In regards to MySQL, I suspect its to do with mysql's using
temporary disk space for large joins, sorts etc, running out of space,
jamming, and leaving the driver with unclosed socket connections
which eventually build up to the allowed limit.

I can't prove it, but the problem went away when we found
sufficient space for the temporary area.

I've only seen this on a sparc box and not on a linux box.
MySQL on a sparc box seems to use /var/... for temporary
space.

Regards
Geoff

--