Jeremie wrote:

> This might be a bit offtopic, but we have a developer with a servlet on
> our server, and they are claiming that it requires Xwindows to be
> *running* for the servlet to operate correctly(it generates a graph on the
> fly).  We don't run X on the servers, and I find this *quite* hard to
> believe that would be required just to use AWT(so they say).
>
> If it truly is this way, are there any alterntatives I might suggest to
> them?

Java AWT will need underlying GUI services, on Unix type systems, that is
provided by X.  So the claiming is right.  In addition, you may have to
manually start JServ.  ( I have tried the autostart from Apache server, but
everytime the servlet with AWT code in it runs, I got the error message
indicating X windows service not correctly setup).  But I really want to run
it under autostart, so could someone let me know if they got the servlet
having AWT code run on Unix systems with a JServ autostart from Apache server
(not theoretical answers).

regards,

--
Metaphase Technology Group | voice: (651) 482-2966
4201 Lexington Ave N, Arden Hills, MN 55126