> That would use more memory, but still permit ranked
> searches.  Worth it?

Not sure. I expect FuzzyQuery results would suffer if
the edit distance could no longer be factored in. At
least there's a quality threshold to limit the more
tenuous matches but all matches below the threshold
would be scored equally. I've certainly had no use for
the idf in fuzzy queries (it favours rare
mis-spellings) so happy to see that go.  I'm not sure
what the lack of edit-distance would do without seeing
some examples results.