Yonik Seeley wrote:
Hmmm, is .03->2000 really enough range?
Seems like the choice is between that and .0005->2000000 will one less
mantissa bit.

Consider the failure modes:

With the .0005->2000000 range we'll fail to distinguish close-scoring matches in more commmon score ranges, while more correctly distinguishing extreme scores.

With the .03->2000 range we'll fail to distinguish unusually high scores (overflow) and we'll over-distinguish unusually low scores (underflow), but we'll more accurately handle common score ranges.

I can't recall seeing many scores outside of the "normal" range, but then I have not used range or wildcard queries much. It's easier to get huge scores with huge numbers of terms, although I still think it is unlikely. You'd need several documents with lots of very rare terms.

Doug