From: Doug Cutting [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 6:22 PM
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: SegmentReader changes?

If the non-public core requires a subclassible SegmentReader then
SegmentReader should certainly be made subclassible.  But we shouldn't
make changes to improve the extensibility of the non-public API.  That's
a slipperly slope.  The fact that you can access package-protected
members by writing code in the same package is a loophole, not a
supported extension mechanism.  We need to retain the freedom to change
non-public APIs without warning.

I'd love to see a good patch that adds an IndexReader.reopen() method
and I hope you are not discouraged from writing one.

Doug