Yueyu Lin,

>From what I can tell from a quick look at the method, that method need to
>remain synchronized, so multiple threads don't accidentally re-read that
>'indexTerms' (Term[] type).  Even though the method is synchronized, it looks
>like only the first invocation would enter that try/catch/finally block where
>term reading happens.  Subsequent calls to this method should exist quickly,
>because indexTerms != null.

Are you sure this is causing the bottleneck for you?
I believe the proper way to figure that out is to kill the JVM with a SIGnal
that causes the JVM to dump thread information.  That would tell you where the
code is blocking.

Also, if you have concrete suggestions for code changes, please post them to
JIRA as diffs/patches.

Otis