On Jun 20, 2006, at 6:42 PM, Robert Engels wrote:

Finding good SWT support on anything but the latest (and major) OS's is
going to be rather poor and inconsistent. Just check the SWT bugs
(especially for things like printing).

For a company that seems to want to allow their users to stay in the dark
ages - good luck with SWT.

This is the major reason we have not done it. We are still in the planning phase. SWT keeps getting better and only through testing on the platforms on which our users are currently on will we make the final decision to switch.

-----Original Message-----
From: DM Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 5:24 PM
To: java-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Results (Re: Survey: Lucene and Java 1.4 vs. 1.5)

On Jun 20, 2006, at 5:21 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

On 6/20/06, DM Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
In any case, there is still GCJ too.  If GCJ supported 1.5, and we
could make a 1.4 library with Retrotranslator, that should cover
most
users, right?

If I am not mistaken: future support for 1.5 in gcj is ambiguous
and/or will be incomplete.

You don't use GCJ right?

Correct. We couldn't because of our use of Swing. It appears that it is sufficiently far along that it is worth trying again. The problem we have is
trying to explain to users how to install java in order to get our
application to work. If we could redistribute java as a seamless part of our
application we would.

We are planning to migrate from Swing to Eclipse's RCP/JFace/SWT and then we can and would use GCJ. If Lucene goes to Java 5, we will need to re- examine
those plans.

GCJ is currently incomplete, and needs patches to get it to work with
lucene (and lucene committers have accepted patches to ease this
porting in the past).  GCJ support in Lucene isn't  as much for the
end-user IMO, but for developers who maintain other Lucene ports.

Time will tell how good the Java5 support is for GCJ.  Hopefully less
time rather than more ;-)

-Yonik
http://incubator.apache.org/solr Solr, the open-source Lucene search
server