Hi,

----- Original Message ----
From: DM Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Jun 21, 2006, at 7:52 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> This sounds reasonable to me...

OG: It sounded reasonable to me, too.  I don't quite understand why that's SO
hard to accept.  Btw., I run Lucene 1.4.3 on Java 1.4.2 as well, so I'm not
trying to push 1.5 because of my personal interests.

OG: To be perfectly honest, and that may turn out to be a mistake, this
argument is starting to sound kind of selfish - a handful of people want the
latest Lucene, but won't let it advance with 1.5 contributions because 1.5
wouldn't work for them.  At the same time they are not thinking of the majority
that would benefit from new contributions.  Again, we still run Lucene 1.4.3 on
Java 1.4.2 on technorati.com, for example, and I'm purely arguing this case
because I don't want to reject the nice people who contribute 1.5 code.

But it is not at all reasonable for us. Our application is designed
with a write one, run anywhere mentality for the hardware/OS base
that our users currently have. Again many of our users use old,

OG: Not to be mean or anything like that, but it sounds like that's a problem
with the design of this particular application.  It has to run on customers'
computers that you are not in control of, yet designed in a monolithic write
one, run anywhere fashion.  Isn't this always going to be a problem for you?
If your users are already users of hand-me-down computers and are very used to
running old software and hardware, do they really need the latest and greatest
Lucene?  Why?

Otis