On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 09:46 -0700, Chuck Williams wrote:
> Many things would be cleaner in Lucene if fields had a global semantics,

> Has this been considered before?  Are there good reasons this path has
> not been followed?

I've been posting some advocacy about the current Field. Basically I
would like to see a more normalized field setting per document (instead
of normalizing it in the writer), and I've been talking about something
like this:

[Document]<#>--- {1..*} ->[Value]-->[Field +name +store +index +vector]
                                                    | {0..*}

I've done lots of changes and added new features like this to my own
branch as it takes ten times the effort to fix deprications and
backwards compatibility for these things.

I'm so up for a Lucene 3.0 code sandbox.