The top of the stack was the stack I posted.  I am not able to give the
entire stack, but this is the important part.  The exception is something
about searching with null.

When I say that I am searching for '1', the user is phyisically entering '1'
into the search form and submitting.  This search works just fine for, say,
2 or 12.  Lucene has a class named Hits.  The serach string which is passed
to this class is '1*'.

The version we are using is 1.4.3.