The reason is performance on large collections.  The common case is that
users don't care what field they are searching -- they just want the
most relevant results, fast!  If you need to restrict querying to a
certain field only (subject, URL, etc...) you still need to index that.
However, for many applications you can get by with the one "body" field
with the field boosts integrated into to the impact term score.

The short answer is, if there are scenarios where you need to do it:
consider doing both.