Lucene is a combination of the vector space similarity and Boolean
models.  Lucene's queries a ranked Boolean query.  Documents must meet
certain Boolean criteria, but this list is then ranked by similarity
score.  If you didn't care about returning the "top" hits, then I would
agree that the docId sorted list would be perfectly applicable.
However, in ranked query, even one where Boolean constraints are
enforced, Impacts can be more efficient.  (more to follow).