Hello Dear Lucene coders!

Some of you may remember, I'm using lucene for a product (and many other
internal utilities).  I'm also using another open source library called
Javolution (www.javolution.org <http://www.javolution.org/> ) which does
many things, one of them being to offer excellent replacements for
ArrayList/Map/... and a super good memory management extension to the
java language.

As I'm [trying to] follow the conversations on this list, I see that
many of you are working towards optimizing lucene in term of memory
footprint and speed.  I just finished optimizing my code (not lucene
itself, but my code written on top of it) using Javolution PoolContext
and the FastList/FastMap/... classes.  The resulting speedup is a 6
times faster code.

Javolution make it easy to recycle objects and do some object allocation
on the stack rather than on the head, which remove stress on the garbage
collector.  Javolution also offers 2 classes  (Text and TextBuilder) to
replace String/StringBuffer which are perfect for anything related to
string manipulation and some C "union/struct" equivalent for java.  The
thing is really great.

Would anyone be interested in doing Lucene a face lift and start using
javolution as a core lucene dependency?  I understand that right now,
lucene is free of any dependencies, which is quite great, but anyone
interested in doing fast/lean/stable java application should seriously
consider using javolution anyway.

Any thoughts?

Jp