"Mike Klaas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 4/5/07, Chris Hostetter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > : Thanks!  But remember many Lucene apps won't see these speedups since I've
> > : carefully minimized cost of tokenization and cost of document retrieval.
> > : think for many Lucene apps these are a sizable part of time spend
> > indexing.
> >
> > true, but as long as the changes you are making has no impact on the
> > tokenization/docbuilding times, that shouldn't be a factor -- that should
> > be consiered a "cosntant time" adjunct to the code you are varying ...
> > people with expensive analysis may not see any significant increases, but
> > that's their own problem -- people concerned about performance will
> > already have that as fast as they can get it, and now the internals of
> > document adding will get faster as well.
>
> Especially since it is relatively easy for users to tweak the analysis
> bits for performance--compared to the messy guts of index creation.
>
> I am eagerly tracking the progress of your work.

Thanks Mike (and Hoss).

Hoss, what you said is correct: I'm only affecting the actual indexing of
a document, nothing before that.

I just want to make sure I get that disclaimer out, as much as possible, so
nobody tries the patch and says "Hey!  My app only got 10% faster!  This was
false advertising!".

People who indeed have minimized their doc retrieval and tokenization time
should see speedups around what I'm seeing with the benchmarks (I hope!).

Mike