If they are " no longer actively developing the portion of the code that's broken, aren't seeking the new feature, etc", and they stay back on old versions... isn't that exactly what we want? They can stay on the old version, and new application development uses the newer version.

It would be different if it was a core JRE interface or similar - this is an optional jar.

Part of what always made Windows so fragile is that as it evolved they tried to maintain backward compatibility - making working with the old/new code and fixing bugs almost impossible. The bloat became impossible to deal with.

I bet, if you did a poll of all Lucene users, you would find a majority of them still only run 1.4.3, or maybe 1.9. Even with 2.0, 2.3, or 3.0, that is still going to be the case.

As always, JMO.