Thats where Robert is confusing me as well. To have XA support you just need to be able to define a transaction, atomically commit, or rollback. You also need a consistent state after any of these operations. LUCENE-1044 seems to guarantee that, and so isn't it more like finishing up needed work than going down the wrong path? It seems more to me (and obviously I know a lot less about this than either of you) that you have just gotten Lucene ready to add XA support. Lucene now fulfills all of the requirements. No? Someone just needs to write a boatload of JTA code :)

It would seem the next step would be, as Robert suggests, to make a transaction a first class citizen. The XA protocol will require Lucene to communicate with the TM about what transactions it has completed to help in failure recovery and transaction management. I can certainly see the need for a better transaction abstraction to help with this.

A little enlightenment on this would be great robert. I am very interested in it for future projects.

And I have to point out...it just seems logical that we would make things so that the index was consistent at some point before taking the next step of making it consistent with other resources...no? I am just still confused about Roberts objections to what is going on here. I think that it would be a real leap forward to get it done though.

Also, as he mentioned, we really need a good distributed system that allows for index partitioning. Thats the ticket to more enterprise adoption. Could be Solr's work though...

Michael McCandless wrote:

Robert, besides LUCENE-1044 (syncing on commit), what is the Lucene
core missing in order for you (or, someone) to build XA compliance on
top of it?

Ie, you can open a writer with autoCommit=false and no changes are
committed until you close it.  You can abort the session by calling
writer.abort().  What's still missing, besides LUCENE-1044?

Mike

robert engels wrote:

One more example on this. A lot of work was done on transaction support. I would argue that this falls way short of what is needed, since there is no XA transaction support. Since the lucene index (unless stored in an XA db) is a separate resource, it really needs XA support in order to be consistent with the other resources.

All of the transaction work that has been performed only guarantees that barring a physical hardware failure the lucene index can be opened and used at a known state. This index though is probably not consistent with the other resources.

All that was done is that we can now guarantee that the index is consistent at SOME point in time.

Given the work that was done, we are probably closer to adding XA support, but I think this would be much easier if the concept of a transaction was made first class through the API (and then XA transactions need to be supported).