I read other parts of the email but glanced over this part.  Would terms be
automatically sorted as they came in?  If implemented it would be nice to be
able to get an encoded representation (probably byte array) of the document
and postings which could be written to a log, and then reentered in another
IndexWriter recreating the document and postings.