I voted for http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6265734 about
pread not working on Windows.  After thinking more about the pool of
RandomAccessFiles I think
LUCENE-753<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-753>is the
best solution.  I am not sure how much work nor if pool of
RandomAccessFiles creates more synchronization problems and if it is only to
benefit windows, does not seem worthwhile.

Seems like LUCENE-753 needs the conditional part on the OS and it can be
committed.