I need to point out that the only thing I know InstantiatedIndex to be great at is read access in the inverted index. It consumes a lot more heap than RAMDirectory and InstantiatedIndexWriter is slightly less efficient than IndexWriter.

Please let me know if your experience differs from the above statement.