Ning Li wrote:

I agree with Otis that the first step for Lucene is probably to
support real-time
search. The instantiated index in contrib seems to be something close..
Maybe we should start fleshing out what we want in realtime search on the wiki?

Could it be as simple as making InstantiatedIndex realtime (allow writes/read at same time?). Then you could search over your IndexReader as well as the InstantiatedIndex. Writes go to both the Writer and the InstantiatedIndex. Nothing is actually permanent until the true commit, but stuff is visible pretty fast...a new IndexReader view starts a fresh InstantiedIndex...

Jasons realtime patch is still pretty large...would be nice if we could accomplish this with as few changes as possible...