Frankly I don't know why TermInfosReader.ThreadResources is not showing up
in the memory snapshot.

Yes. It's been there for a long time. But let's see what's changed : A LRU
cache of termInfoCache is added.
I SegmentTermEnum previously would be released, since it's relatively a
simple object.
But with a cache added to the same class ThreadResources, which hold many
objects, with the threads still hanging around, the cache can not be
released, so in turn the SegmentTermEnum can not be released, so the
RAMDirectory can not be released.

My test is too coupled with the software I am working on and not easy to
post here. But here is a similar case from another user:

i found a forum post from you here [1] where you mention that you
have a memory leak using the lucene ram directory. I'd like to ask you
if you already have resolved the problem and how you did it or maybe
you know where i can read about the solution. We are using
RAMDirectory too and figured out, that over time the memory
consumption raises and raises until the system breaks down but only
when we performing much index updates. if we only create the index and
don't do nothing except searching it, it work fine.

Chris Lu
site: http://www.dbsight.net
demo: http://search.dbsight.com
Lucene Database Search in 3 minutes:
DBSight customer, a shopping comparison site, (anonymous per request) got
2.6 Million Euro funding!