It is basic Java. Threads are not guaranteed to run on any sort of schedule. If you create lots of large objects in one thread, releasing them in another, there is a good chance you will get an OOM (since the releasing thread may not run before the OOM occurs)... This is not Lucene specific by any means.

It is a misunderstanding on your part about how GC works.

I assume you must at some point be creating new RAMDirectories - otherwise the memory would never really increase, since the IndexReader/enums/etc are not very large...

When you create a new RAMDirectories, you need to BE CERTAIN !!! that the other IndexReaders/Searchers using the old RAMDirectory are ALL CLOSED, otherwise their memory will still be in use, which leads to your OOM...