It is dangerous, but probably not any more dangerous than using a consumer hard drive that lies to sync (don't know the numbers, but I have to assume some/many are doing this with Lucene - in which case you pay perf for a false sense of security<g>).

Not a real suggestion at this point though. Just thinking about some of the reports I have seen of much slower indexing with 2.4 (the latest being to the solr list today). Can't imagine why someone would see such a drastic change (I imagine you could imagine a lot better), other than maybe the sync is hobbling their specific situation (in which case i'd guess its not lying if it where going to be so slow though <g> Or its AIX or something <g>). Would be cool to be able to flip it off and test. Sounds like thats simple enough already though. I could whip up an off for solr testing easy enough.

Thanks.

Michael McCandless wrote:

Well... because it's quite dangerous to turn off.

A simple way to disable it entirely is to subclass FSDir and override sync() to be a noop.

Mike

Mark Miller wrote:

What was the reason not to make this toggle-able?