Michael McCandless wrote:

I'd like to decouple "upgraded to Object" vs "materialize full array", ie, so we can access native values w/o materializing the full array. I also think "upgrade to Object" is dangerous to even offer since it's so costly.

I'm right with you. I didn't think the Object approach was really an upgrade (beyond losing the merge, which is especially important for StringIndex - it has no merge option at the moment) which is why I left both options for now. So I def agree we need to move to iterator, drop object, etc.

Its the doin' that aint so easy. The iterator approach seems somewhat straightforward (though its complicated by needing to provide a random access object as well), but I'm still working through how we control so many iterator types (I dont see how you can use polymorphism yet ).

- Mark