Two points here:
1. "It should, because in the compiled JVM code, generics do simply
not appear." is not completely true. Types that have their type
parameters lower-bound, erase said parameters to this low bound and
not to Object. Google Guice uses this as a base to trick allowing
runtime generics reflection.

2. Generics' utility is not limited to collections, we use it for
type-safe index fields storage/querying for example.
Define field:
FieldInfo<EmployerCategory> EMPLOYER_CATEGORY =
field(ENUM(EmployerCategory.class), INDEX);
Store it:
add(vacancy.getEmployerCategory(), EMPLOYER_CATEGORY);
Query it:
return FilterTerm(EMPLOYER_CATEGORY, complementOf(EnumSet.of(AGENCY)));

any field access is type-checked at compile time and happily
autocompletes in IDE